Download the ASSA Foundation Scholarship Application
The ASSA Foundation offers scholarships based on criteria detailed below. These Scholarships are funded through donations to the ASSA Foundation specifically designated for scholarships. Interested individuals who meet the eligibility criteria are encouraged to complete and submit an application.
- Applicant must be U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be an ASSA Member, ASSA Associate Member, ASSA Junior Member or the dependent son/daughter of an ASSA member in good standing and residing in the same household as the ASSA member.
- Applicant is between the ages of 17-25.
- Applicant has proof of regular and sustained involvement with the Shetland Sheepdog for a period of more than two years as a competitor in AKC Junior Showmanship, AKC conformation, or AKC recognized performance events.
- Applicants must be accepted (if a high school senior) or already enrolled in an accredited college, community college or Department of Education recognized technical or trade school. Applications for Graduate studies will also be considered.Documentation
- Applicant provides copy of most recent high school, trade school or college transcript which indicates a grade point average of “B” or 3.0 or better.
- A letter of recommendation (on institution letterhead) for the scholarship from a school faculty member or administrator who knows the applicant and can attest to student’s academic interest.
- Written Essay (~300-500 words). Essay topic is applicant’s discussion of their involvement in the sport of purebred dogs. (This requirement is waived for renewal applications only.)
- If applicant has not yet matriculated at the academic institution, a letter of acceptance must be provided.
Other Documentation: (Not mandatory, but positively helps support application)
- Applicant is a member in good standing of a regional Shetland Sheepdog club or is a member of an All-Breed conformation or performance club.
- Applicant lists record of dog club office or committee service.
- Applicant may list other extracurricular activities, hobbies and interests.
Award Amounts: Award amounts are offered subject to the type of academic institution, attendance requirements, and tuition levels. While there are no set rules for award amounts, awards will typically range within the following levels:
- Four year institution of higher education, full time on campus study – up to $1500
- Four year institution of higher education, distance learning – up to $750
- Community College – up to $500
- Professional/Trade School – up to $750
- Graduate School – up to $1000
- Application documents must be submitted with the official application form.
- Application package must be complete. Incomplete or partial submissions will not beconsidered.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- Individuals may apply for up to four (4) awards over the course of their academic pursuits.
- No person may receive awards totaling more than $1500 for any single award and no person may receive at total of more than $5,000 for multiple awards over subsequent applications.
Awards Granted: Scholarship applications will be reviewed by the ASSA Foundation Board of Directors. Typically this occurs in the Spring at the time of the ASSA National Specialty and the meeting of the ASSA Foundation Board. Scholarship checks will be mailed to the approved applicants within 60 days of that time.
How To Apply: Simply complete the ASSAF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM and submit it along with all of the required documentation. Complete application must be received not later than January 31 of each year.
Mail application package to:
2012 Inland Cove
Virginia Beach, VA 23454-1419
For additional information please contact the ASSAF Treasurer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate ASSAF Scholarship on the subject line.
Download the Junior Sponsorship Application
The American Shetland Sheepdog Association (ASSA) encourages young people’s interest, involvement and love of our breed. This encouragement includes supporting juniors who exhibit Shetland Sheepdogs at dog shows.
We are pleased to offer up to twelve (12) $500 sponsorships, on a first come, first served basis, tojuniors who qualify to compete iat AKC/Royal Canin in junior showmanship, junior's agility, juniors obedience or juniors rally. or at Westminster in junior showmanship, obedience or agility.
Up to four (4) sponsorships will be awarded per venue (i.e. 4 for Agility, 4 for Obedience or Rally, and 4 for Junior Showmanship). A junior may only apply for one (1) sponsorship in one venue each year.
The ASSA was pleased to support the following junior handlers that competed at Royal Canin or Westminster and congratulates them on qualifying to compete.
Read their stories below:
Ashley Yoho | Tara Crowley | Kaylee Cundiff | Aydin Dowell
The ASSA was pleased to support the following junior handlers that competed at Royal Canin (2019) or Westminster (2020) and congratulates them on qualifying to compete.
Read their stories below:
Rachel Eckler | Ashley Yoho | Tara Crowley | Kaylee Cundiff | Abigail Stark | David McFarlin